Central Coast Concerned Mountain Bikers
November 16, 2010
Attending: Jeanne Mutzinger, Bob Nanninga, Bill Jenkins, Doug Carscaden, Greg Bettencourt, Paul Reinhardt, Clint Edwards, Frank Zika, Gary Havas, Dan Rivoire, Joe O’Donnell, Tim Sawchuck, Ron Dexter, Kelli Schonher, Greg Robertson, Mary Bettencourt, Christina Jacobson, Ian Anderson, Patrick/Cal Poly Wheelmen representative.
I Approval of minutes of previous meeting: Paul moved to approve as submitted; Tim S. 2nd, unanimous approval.
II Agenda requests: none.
III Committee Reports
1. Trail Work – Fernandez Trail – Joe: 10 volunteers worked from Friis up and from Friis down; reset barrier on top; new ranger Kyle helped w/ T-stakes and wiring to keep motorcycles out.
Froom Connector – Bob, Doug: Overwhelming success: 170 workers. Dan’s bridges are in process. Sign-in process worked well. Need Joe to be more visible, especially in that large crowd. Consider buying name-tags that will stay on better.
2. Sponsorship & Fundraising – Bill: See report.
3. Publicity– Frank: What shall we do with the brochures, newsletters, Power Point. First, answer the question of how do we use those people coming from other organizations? Tim: have the crew leaders trained to receive these volunteers. How to involve volunteers in simpler tasks? Moving material, etc? Frank: have a strategic plan for channeling this process; consider a special meeting for this.
4. Newsletter – Paul: discussion of how many newsletters to send vs. e-newsletters. Will look into Constant Contact.
5. Membership & Volunteers – Paul: Discuss possibility of partnering with SLO Bike Coalition, e.g. membership with 3cmb AND Bike Coalition for $35. Dan: Benefit for people who already belong to both. Benefit for Bike Coalition, which is looking for more members for activist as well as financial support; 3cmb is looking for more volunteers. SLOB Coalition would share the Constant Contact contract and other expertise. Should be part of the strategic planning process. Paul moved that we offer our contact list a joint membership with the Bike Coalition – the amount to be determined by next meeting. Tim S. 2nd. Following discussion of need for a volunteer skilled in print and web media, unanimous approval.
Membership bonuses: Tabled
6. Agency & Organization Reports (State Parks, County, City, Forest Service, Bike Coalition): State Parks - Ron, Doug, Tim, Greg, etc:
7. Education/Training Committee - Kelli: Laminated cards with the safety checklist & basic trail building: shall we continue to use them? Consensus is that they are a good resource for crew leaders. Education committee will determine final version. Kathy Moyer would charge $1,500 for 2 day training of 6 crew leaders and $2,125 for training 12. Tabled until next meeting when we hear from potential sponsor.
8. Bike Patrol at MdO – Greg R., Joe, Tim, Bob: Still waiting for State Parks.
9. Website/tech Committee – Morgan, Daniel, Rachel. No report. Encourage everyone to look at the new version.
10. FASTA – Ian, Greg: have received a report from Hilride. Moving forward. Some individuals are stepping up to be on the leadership team. Doug: Anthony has contacted someone who can do the tree work.
11. Financial Report – Jeanne: $4,285. Still need to pay $2,000 to Hilride.
IV Items Requiring Discussion or Action
1. Lemon Grove Loop – Doug, Bob: keep low-key so that it will be manageable.
Lopez – Bill: plans 6 crews, might build a wall. Joe will be there with tools.
2. Moving Dirt – Tim S. Tool Safety Talk Checklist
3. Wheelmen Application to Host Nationals – Patrick: CP Wheelmen are applying to host the 2011 nationals at the Santa Margarita Ranch. They ask that 3CMB give their approval of the Wheelmen hosting this event. Yishai Horowitz is the event planner and the landowner is a very enthusiastic supporter. Joe moves that 3cmb go on record as approving the concept of Cal Poly Wheelmen hosting the Nationals in 2011.
4. Making it up to Foothill Cyclery – Invite them to bring their van out to Super Bowl Sunday. Make an effort to “plug” him at every workday. Bill and Frank will make up a framed photo poster thanking Foothill Cyclery for their ongoing support.
5. Socks, jerseys and membership – Do we buy more? We will need them for membership. Paul moves that we make another order for socks: $600 for the minimum order of 144. Bill 2nd, unanimous approval.
6. Descending Bikes Stop For All Uphill Traffic – How and Who? Greg proposes a subcommittee: Joe, Greg B, Doug, Tim, Ron, Ian, Greg R. and John Cutter.
7. Presentations to groups to recruit workers (power point, brochure, etc.) – Ideas for groups? See PR above.
8. Dealing with medical concerns at workdays – Tabled.
9. IMBA Trail Care Crew?? – Tabled.
10. Jobs/tasks which CCCMB needs someone to fulfill – How to involve more folks in directors work. Will address at strategic planning meeting.
11. CCCMB “social rides”. Tabled.
12. 3CMB Christmas Party – Saturday, December 18, from 5:30 to 9 at the Bettencourts’.
VII Next Meeting: Tuesday, December 21, 2010, 5:30 p.m.