Central Coast Concerned Mountain Bikers
Minutes August 19, 2010 5:36 PM
Attending: John Cutter, Kathy Longacre, Greg Bettencourt, Bill Jenkins, Tim Sawchuck, Bob Nanninga, Jeanne Mutzinger, Ian Anderson, Kathy Redden, Ron Dexter, Paul Reinhardt, Kelli Schonher, Joe O’Donnell, Jim Aarons, Mary Bettencourt.
I Approval of minutes of previous meeting: Bob N. moved, Bill J. 2nd.
Guest Dennis Vaca: Dennis Vaca introduced himself and explained work he will be doing for Lopez Lake trails, hired by County Parks. Will start brushing and cutting down outside edges of trails.
II Agenda requests: None
III Committee Reports
1. Trail Work – Black Hill – Greg B: Jamie Irons working extensively on downhill run; State Parks also utilizing CCC’s, stiles being installed to protect.
2. Sponsorship & Fundraising – Bill: See Written report. Time for Bill and Greg to plan annual sponsorship visit to bike shops.
3. Publicity – Frank: brochure, discuss and decide below. Distributed 4 choices of format for review around the table.
4. Newsletter – Greg. Tim and Kelli will do article about “evolution of the bells”.
5. Membership & Volunteers – Paul: Written report. 3 new members. Annual hours increased to 4,000 hours from 2,400 hours from 08-09. Last year averaged 15 people per event. This year is up to 28 per event. Decided to start counting meeting hours in a different category. Please, either enter “non-dirt hours” on website or submit in print to Paul. Paul will devise a system – possibly index cards – to ensure more legible sign-in contact info at workdays. How to personally thank/acknowledge volunteers who have worked multiple dates? No decision.
6. Agency & Organization Reports
State Parks – Ron: Starting to work on new trails before finishing the current projects (e.g. East Boundary and Oats Peak), therefore more help is needed on weekly work days. Anyone who is willing to work is welcome. Discussion of appropriate ways to communicate this.
County – Kathy L / Santa Margarita Lake: working with Byron Grant and Ken Klis to get over Salsipuedes Creek. Helicopter fly-over scheduled next week. Once possible routes are identified, County will initiate CEQA documents.
City – Doug & Greg:
Forest Service – Joe O: Alicia and Lloyd appreciate the work on Morning Glory.
Bike Patrol - Tim: First Aid certified Bike Patrols requested by City of SLO for FASTA skills area.
Moved by Paul, second by ?: 3CMB to pay for First Aid CPR instruction and jersey costs for certified Bike Patrollers. Person would need to finish First Aid CPR before being paid for jersey. Doug: training may be available through City of SLO – will check. General agreement to allow any 3CMB member to attend the first aid class.
7. Education/Training Committee - Kelli: State Parks Trail Training,
8. Bike Patrol at MdO – See #6 above.
9. Website/tech Committee – Morgan, Daniel, Rachel: Discussed Paypal details
10. FASTA – Over 50 people attended the City Council meeting on 8/17. Doug: First step: Neil, Doug will meet and create a timeline. Second step: Hold a meeting with interested parties. Jim A. requests signs by City saying “STAY OUT, this area is closed during construction.” or something similar. City and APCD putting together a protocol for working in NOA in Stenner Springs reserve. Kernville and China Peak both installing skills areas.
11. Financial Report – Jeanne: Balance ~$7,800. $406 left in the bells account.
IV Items Requiring Discussion or Action
1. 2010 -11 Work Schedule: Regular workdays will be printed in bold; regional workdays in regular print. Megan will do mock-ups of format and submit to Greg and Joe. Tim: will promote regular workdays by all-3cmb email, Craig’s list, etc. Regional crew leaders will promote the regional workdays. Holly S. requests a Lopez workday that she can attend, probably in Dec. Bill agrees to schedule a Lopez workday in Dec. Will swap in Stenner/Elevator/lower Morning Glory for Oct. (Meet at the Eucalyptus grove.) If CCC’s work on MdO can be eliminated on one date in Dec.
2. First workday of season – MdO September 11, Saturday, Ridge Reroute.
3. Moving Dirt – tabled.
4. Brochure decisions:
a. Print with black small text and green large text WITH background.
b. Paul moved, Bill 2nd: print 500.
c. Use 4,000 hours as number of volunteer hours we do.
d. “See additional membership benefits on website.”
5. Descending Bikes Stop For All Uphill Traffic – Where and how? Tabled
6. Crew leader development process – See written report. 4 hour Core Volunteer training ((min. 4 attendees) for organizing trail maintenance events Friday Sept. 17. 8 hour Crew Leader training (min. 6 attendees) Sat. September 18. Agreed to proceed with these trainings.
7. Protocol for planning each workday – update Tabled
8. Presentations to groups to recruit workers (power point, brochure, etc.) – Ideas for groups? Tabled
9. Dealing with medical concerns at workdays – who is going to make sure we do this? First aid package to be assembled for first workday of season.
10. Jobs/tasks which CCCMB needs someone to fulfill – Electronic newsletter. Membership promotion. More on website – updating, expanding. Bell distribution at various sites. Cal Poly regional crew leader / liaison (ongoing Wheelmen position?).
11. State Parks Initiative on November ballot – Moved by Paul, 2nd by Ron. Approved CCCMB being official supporter.
12. CCCMB “social rides” - Tabled
1. Ventana Wilderness Alliance – Letter and possible joint effort on Pruitt
VII Next Meeting: Tuesday, September 21, 2010, 5:30 p.m.