Home‎ > ‎Who We Are‎ > ‎Monthly Meeting‎ > ‎

CCCMB January 2011 Minutes

posted Mar 13, 2011, 8:39 PM by Bill Jenkins   [ updated Mar 13, 2011, 8:43 PM by Tim Sawchuck ]

Central Coast Concerned Mountain Bikers

 

Meeting Minutes January 18, 2011

 

Attending: Jeanne Mutzinger, Greg Robertson, Bill Jenkins, Greg Bettencourt, ? Cal Poly Wheelmen, Kathy Redden, Frank Zika, John Cutter, Rachel Duchak, Yshai Horowitz, Gary Havas, Doug Carscaden, Tim Sawchuck, Joe O’Donnell, Christina Jacobson, Bob Nanninga, Ron Dexter, Paul Reinhardt, Lynne Latronica, Mary Bettencourt.

 

I . Approval of minutes of previous meeting:  Approved as amended: Doug and Bob N.

 

II .  Agenda requests: ask new folks why they came to meeting/their interest.

Ishai Horowitz – Mtb. Race at SMR July. Needs 16 mi. of trail that is now cowtrails. Some smokejumpers are helping to clear. Being designed by Yshai but requesting our help in making it a sustainable trail that can be open and ridden in the future. He is going to invite CCCMB folks out  after Super Bowl Sunday and we will proceed from there.

 

III.   Committee Reports

1.      Trail Work 

Morning Glory - Greg/Kelli 15 at top, 13 at the bottom. Significant work on Botanicals, top of Morning Glory and several areas of Elevator. Be careful to leave enough catch basin lower than the drain.

2.      Sponsorship & Fundraising – Bill: the socks are in the mail.

 

3.      Publicity – Frank is Back!!  

Presentation at St Joseph’s H.S. – John and Christina took the PP show to an enrichment class. Kelli encountered them at MdO and they are all had bells, knew trail etiquette, etc. It is Jeanne and Frank’s PP enriched with photos at beginning and end.

SBS poster distribution: Art’s, Trinity, CBO, Pedal Power, Wally’s, Foothill, North County.

4.      FASTA – Tim: waiting for the 50% Concept Plan. Should be sent to Anthony Medaglia this week and will be reviewed at City level. Doug: If licensed and insured arborists submit their proposal for tree/limb removal, City will review and most likely approve.

5.      Newsletter – Rachel: Newsletter in January for membership. Needs content. Membership, schedule, etc. Greg will email Rachel.

6.      Membership & Volunteers – Paul: 2011 membership drive & joint membership with Coalition 

7.      Agency & Organization Reports

Forest Service: Greg re: Willow Springs Trail. FS asking for a trails committee; Lynne Latronica has tentatively agreed to attend. SLOPOST may fund a local botanist. Backcountry Horseman may also be interested in supporting. Joe re: Prewitt. Rep. from Ventana Wilderness Assoc. is interested in helping 3CMB get work done there.

State Parks: Ron and Tim re: Strategy for Parks regarding trails south of Islay Creek. Plan devised by Curt Beebe of possible parallel trails. New acquisition of the park will need a new trail. Coastal Trail is multi-user. There will be a network of trails, most new. What kind of use on which trails is up for discussion of Trails Committee.

County: Volunteers at Lopez Lake should be receiving free day passes. Kelli is asked to work on this.

Kathy Redden re: SML Sun. Jan. 23. Ron and Greg will bring tools. Good scouting 1/16. Ready.

City: Doug re: Irish Hills Conservation Plan Mtg Jan. 27, 6:30 at the SLO Library. Trails and reroutes of trails in Irish Hills/connecting with Froom Ranch: sustainable trails, linkage with Johnson Ranch.

Bike Coalition:  None

8.      Education/Training Committee - Kelli:  Update; State Parks Foundation partnership; Crew Leader Training. See submitted report.

9.      Bike Patrol at MdO – Greg R., Joe, Tim, Bob. No news from Ranger Grennan.

10.  Website/tech Committee – Morgan, Daniel, Rachel: Good work!!

11.  Financial Report – Jeanne: (SLOBC & SLOPOST & Borga Fund) $7,000 before Borgra ($1,000) and SLOPOST ($500) most recent donations.

 

IV  Items Requiring Discussion or Action

1.      Santa Margarita Lake, Kathy: See “County” above.

Super Bowl Sunday: Presented a standard designed by Gary H. and John C. so that volunteers can find their crew leaders. Most materials donated by John & Bob. Will make 20. Frank: need banners for Sign-in, Trail Crew, Membership. Frank will email John with list. Bill: House of Bread and bagels. Raffle for gift cards, etc. Name tags. How to form the groups: Joe and Tim will fill the crews. Name tags can be numbered out ahead of time. Need tables: Kathy Redden, Bettencourts, Bill, Gary H. Joe will bring the pop-up.

Pre-ride is Sunday, Jan. 30. Need all crew leaders. Will scout all trails except Barranca. (Tom Becker to take hedger to bottom of Barranca. Priority to open the 2 new reroutes.

2.      Moving Dirt –

3.      Tools – Purchase and shed(s) and distribution. Bettencourts would like to purchase the old one. New shed might be located at Robertson/Schonher residence. Move to purchase a new shed for tools to be located in SLO not to exceed $600. Moved Jeanne, second Bill. Approved.

Tim: possible deep discount for tools through IMBA. John: need rock-bars. Bring tarps.

4.      Things we haven’t finished &/or come to decision on:

a.       Bell distribution process – Now: Greg R. Bob N. Tim S. Need more help? Tim needs more help at MdO, Agreed to try putting a plastic storage of extra bells at bottom of trail.

b.      Descending traffic program – multiple reports of increased etiquette. Possibly make old “Elevator” into a downhill trail.  Greg R. post trail name and mileage signs.

c.       Dealing with medical concerns at workdays – Jeanne and Mary will meet and have a system before SBS.

d.      How do we recruit for specific jobs i.e. web content person  Did not discuss.

e.       Strategic Planning:  Yes or No? If yes then when? Consensus is yes, and schedule for mid-June. Possibly one meeting for “vision” and one for “execution”.

f.        Sending someone(s) to Professional Trail Builders Association March 13-20 – with Woody Keene, Ashville, No. Carolina. Learning about trail machines, working the machines, etc. ~ $1,500 per person. Need someone who knows trail layout and design.  Greg will ask SLOPOST if she is willing to pay all or part.

5.       “Ride the Divide” as CCCMB fundraiser: Chris & John – Tabled until after SBS

6.      Trail Conditions Update: How best to do this? Tim, Jeanne and Christina will work on this.

 

V.   Information – ECOSLO Volunteer Coordinator

 

VI. Other?

 

VII.  Next Meeting: Tuesday, February 15, 2011, 5:30 p.m.

Comments