Home‎ > ‎Who We Are‎ > ‎Monthly Meeting‎ > ‎

CCCMB_ September_2010_Minutes

posted Nov 10, 2010, 11:19 AM by Bill Jenkins   [ updated Nov 10, 2010, 11:24 AM by Tim Sawchuck ]

  Central Coast Concerned Mountain Bikers

 

Minutes September 21, 2010

 

Attended: John Cutter, Frank Zika, Greg Bettencourt, Bill Jenkins, Bob Nanninga, Joe O’Donnell, Doug Carscaden, Gary Havas, Kelli Schonher, Ron Dexter, Jeanne Mutzinger, Greg Robertson, Tim Sawchuck, Mary Bettencourt, Rachel Duchak, Sam Schaefer – Cal Poly Wheelman, Ian Anderson, Dave Morrow, Andy Mutzinger.

 

I    Approval of minutes of previous meeting: Will adopt next meeting.

 

II   Agenda requests: None

 

III   Committee Reports

1.      Trail Work –  MdO North Slope – Tim Sawchuck: 30 people total, 9 newbies, 900 ft. of trail done to 80-90% of spec. Regional workday this Sat. 9/25.

2.      Sponsorship & Fundraising – Bill: $150 donation and 5 $25.00 gift certs. asked of ea. bike shop.

3.      Publicity– Frank: presented the Fall Schedule Poster. Brochure is done, waiting on bid. Will email to Rachel for website.

4.      Newsletter – Rachel: being proofed

5.      Membership & Volunteers – Paul: Written report submitted.

6.      Agency & Organization Reports

State Parks – Ron: well into Oats Peak reroute project.

County – Kelli: Holly Sletteland of ECOSLO has arranged for trailwork volunteers to receive a free pass to County Parks for every day they work.

City –Doug: getting approval for first aid training with City Staff and for $$ for Trailwerks, Asbestos will be a problem all over the city and will require additional precautions at trail work.

Forest Service - Greg will be attending a meeting about possible trail/s on Eagle Ranch.

State Parks - Ron, Doug, Tim, Greg, etc: 

Wheelmen Discussion  - Greg met withWheelmen and proposed they adopt a trail on the ridge, e.g Eucs, Elevator, Stenner, Tough & Dirty? Elevator Trail: problems with uphill vs. downhill traffic. Pending meeting with Aaron Lazenoff , range manager for Cal Poly, re: priorities on Cal Poly.

7.      Education/Training Committee - Kelli: State Parks Trail Training – See below.

8.      Bike Patrol at MdO – Waiting for State Parks.

9.      Website/tech Committee – Morgan, Daniel, Rachel: Safety talk on video online. More interactive: opt in or out for newsletter, which trails need work, etc. Meeting next week on Thursday at Rachel’s.

10.  FASTA – Ian: Donor agreement, insurance. Doug: waiting for Neil to make a site visit this week. Ian will submit language for a “Coming Attraction” signage to run by Neil and also wondering if they can put in an initial straight elevated skinny as a sample.

11.  Financial Report – Jeanne:  $6,215.80.

 

IV  Items Requiring Discussion or Action

1.      Oct. 10 – Elevator/MG/Shooters/POLY Prop?

a.       Ron: Appropriate pre-rain work on Shooters – strip water bars, save dirt and broadcast rocks, spread dirt beneath waterbar. This would be done with rakes and shovels. “Shrub Rakes” at Nobles /$8. Joe: purchase some rakes. Ron and Kelli to put on a pre-workday. Ron will acquire the needed tools. Elevator – paver repair and re-establish trail where water project interrupted it. Thistle work on Stenner.

b.      Using protocol – Kelli and Tim will help or do.

c.       Publicity – ???

d.      Elevator speed issue/unauthorized digging and berms – Discussion: If Neil decides we are to take out berms then we will.  If not then we may try several approaches.

2.      Moving Dirt – Tim S. / Tool Safety Talk. Tabled.

3.      Descending Bikes Stop For All Uphill Traffic – Where and how? Thank all riders who stop for uphill traffic. Signage, kiosks. Sign at Elevators, Shooters and Morning Glory “Bikes Stop for All Uphill Traffic”. Bell boxes for Elevator.  Magnetic strips vs. “mail boxes” rather than boxes, to discourage trash. Greg R. and John Cutter will come up with a sign and flier “Bikes Stop for Uphill Traffic” to debut Oct. 10.  We will install “bell dispensers” on Oct 10.

4.      Crew leader development process & Weekend Training – See Report. To keep volunteer coming back you’ve got to make it FUN. Use THANKS and PRAISE. How to treat volunteers and encourage them. Social? Task oriented? Name tags at registration. Introductions within crews. Dots on name tags if they’ve been here before. Willing to take more time. Education Committee meeting to plan next steps Tuesday, Sept. 28, 6 PM at Jaffa. Frank: put some name-tags and dots in the registration. Something to ID crew leaders and other 3CMB project volunteers. OKed 2 pr. of socks for the trainers who provided the workshop last weekend.

5.      Request for SLOBC fundsEnhance engagement, education and retention of volunteers.

6.      TRAILWERKS at Froom Ranch: Preliminary plans food: Clif bars, House of Bread, BBQ. Product from Lezyne and other ~ 20-25 items. Music – Ralph Battles and another musician. Publicity - Frank will design and produce laminated posters specific to TrailWerks to post at all City trails. Bob and Doug will contact all possible crew leaders – anticipating a big crowd.

7.      Presentations to groups to recruit workers (power point, brochure, etc.) – Ideas for groups? Tabled

8.      Dealing with medical concerns at workdaysRattle Snake bite education. Greg R. will write a few sentences about do’s and don’ts for website and general sharing.

9.      Jobs/tasks which CCCMB needs someone to fulfill – Can we make a list? Tabled

10.  CCCMB “social rides” – Tabled.

 

V   Information

   1.  Possible Intern – He took a different intern opportunity.

 

VI  Other? John Cutter will report next April’s volunteer weekend at Wind Wolves.

 

VII   Next Meeting: Tuesday, October 19, 2010, 5:30 p.m.

Comments