Home‎ > ‎Who We Are‎ > ‎Monthly Meeting‎ > ‎

Central Coast Concerned Mountain Bikers

posted May 18, 2011, 9:07 AM by Bill Jenkins   [ updated May 18, 2011, 9:09 AM by Tim Sawchuck ]

MEETING Minutes April 19, 2011

 

Attending: Kathy Redden, Bill Jenkins, Doug Carscaden, Greg Bettencourt, Joe O’Donnell, Tim Sawchuck, John Cutter, Kenny McCarthy, Paul Reinhardt, Lynne Latronica, Frank Zika, Ian Anderson, Tucker Fritch, Dillon McDonald, Gary Havas, Christina Jacobson, Greg Robertson, Bob Nanninga, Owen Shea, Christie Cutter, Kelli Schonher, Mary Bettencourt.

 

I    Approval of minutes of previous meeting: Bill approved, Bob 2nd. Unanimous acceptance.

 

II   Agenda requests ask new folks why they came to meeting/their interest. Owen Shea requests a project appropriate for Boy Scout Eagle project within the next year. Discussion followed of bell boxes, benches, repair of picnic table at top of Barranca, trail signage with trail names and mileage for Stenner Springs / Elevator, possibly a map/kiosk. These construction projects are difficult to get through the land manager process. Joe suggested a process of learning trail construction/maintenance resulting in adoption of a trail: Lemon Grove Loop, the Boy Scout trail at SML, trails near the Boy Scout camp at Lopez, Falcon Trail. 

 

III   Committee Reports:

1.      Trail Work – Johnson Ranch – Doug;

Cerro Cabrillo/Black Hill – Paul: rained out, but work is being done weekly.

Coon Creek – Tim: repaired deep rut on Rattlesnake at MdO. Pruned heavy growth.

Lopez – Bill: 39 attending, only 7-8 had volunteered before. ECOSLO will probably need more event support in the future.

2.      Sponsorship & Fundraising – Bill: Decision to fund Wheelmen bell proposal. They would like 400 bells, 200 for 3cmb to distribute and 200 for them to give to team members, etc. at a cost of $460 for bells and Velcro. Bill moved, Bob N. 2nd. Passed unanimously.

3.      Publicity – Frank:

4.      FASTA – Ian: GPSing coordinates and Devon downloading them to a map. Tim: City gave permission to layout and flag the “return trail”, possibly as a training for FASTA on weekends over 3-4 days.

5.      Newsletter/e-newsletter – Lynne Latronica : Discussion of next steps. Met with Elaina Geltner on using “Constant Contact” web system for e-newsletter. Lynne was directed to take it slow, when she has a template or draft of a enewsletter to send it to the directors for  input.  Also expect we will talk about it more at strategic planning meeting in June.

6.      Membership & Volunteers – Paul: see report.

7.      Agency & Organization Reports:

State Parks - Walk thru re. trails south of Islay Creek

City of SLO - Doug: Froom Ranch progresses, Johnson Ranch is open. Greg: Froom Ranch route finding and Neil’s response to our letter. Neil and Doug are working on options for now and what’s in the Conservation Plan.

Yishai/SM Ranch – Joe: course is mapped out and Yshai can still use volunteers. 3cmb waiting for publicity statement.

8.      Education/Training Committee - Kelli: see report. Brought trail design books by Troy Scott Parker. Tucker gave a positive report on the Crew Leaders Training Mar. 26.

9.      Bike Patrol at MdO – Greg B. per Juvie “ A bike patrol is not essential for opening up Oats Peak to mountain bikes since we are going to have multi-use trails.” Tim: DPR has assigned a supervising ranger; who is composing a duty statement. How we market of the concept will largely determine how it will be received by bikers.  Docents vs. cops.

10.  Website/tech Committee – Morgan, Paul, Kenny McCarthy: Kenny McCarthy has agreed to work on the website.

11.  Financial Report – Jeanne: tabled.

 

IV  Items Requiring Discussion or Action

1.      Fernandez Trail May 1– Joe;  Joe or Tim will send out announcement emails this week and next.

Carrot Fest May 14 & 15 – Tim: work-day on Saturday, camping at Horse Camp for equestrians & 3cmb directors. Carrot Ride on Sunday with bicycles, horses and hikers.

2.      Moving Dirt – RIDING DIRT – Cuyama ride May 8, Sunday – any interest?

3.      Mechanical Trail Machine Conclusions/Next steps – Joe, Doug, Greg, Tim: Discussed the possibility of leasing a machine and operator to try out the effect locally. This would entail “shopping” for the right operator and going to see work that’s been done. Tim recommends Zachy Anderson.

4.      Strategic Planning:  Update & Director’s input needed. Christina: mission statement and goals updated by the committee (will email later this week). Full day Strategic Planning meeting with Dale Magee as facilitator on Sat. June 11.  Core strategic planning committee is meeting with Dale on Thursday 4/21 to develop an agenda and a list of attendees.

5.      IMBA Chapter: Pros and Cons – Joe and Greg R (who talked with the IMBA rep). Discussion ensued, members encouraged to research further, discussion will continue at Strategic Planning Meeting 6/11.

6.      Bell Program subcommittee recommendation:

Tim: We’ve gone through 1,000 plus bells in one year and could’ve been 50% more. How do we finance the bells and how do we use the bell boxes best for education and increased user compatibility? Bill: we want them to use the bell and pay for them; people don’t read. Christina: keep verbiage as short as possible. Dillon: use 5 words or less, e.g. Fast rider, take a bell. John Cutter: Ding or die. The Bell Committee will decide how many boxes, the placement and the wording on them.

7.      Bike Month Breakfast May 17: Details

8.      Progress on:

a.       Trail Conditions Update: No report.

b.      Picture storage – Tim: There are photo files for each workday and event Picasa site. The Picasa photo site can be accessed from www.cccmb.org. Kenny will help with access to the files from 3cmb.org, Lynne and others would be able to use these photos.

9.      Wisdom of emailing Paul’s total hours &/or extra hours spreadsheet. Conclusion that this info should be sent out as a summary. Paul will send spread sheets to Kenny and Lynne for their assessment as best way to summarize and use the info.

10.  Contributing to IMBA’s e-newsletter – Yes, Frank will do.

 

V. Newsworthy items for newsletter and/or website. Frequency: Lynne will put one together and then decide frequency. Discussion, again, of print vs. digital newsletters.

 

VI Information –

 

VII  Other?

 

VIII   Next Meeting: Tuesday, May 17, 2011, 5:30 p.m.  Greg and Mary will be absent.

Comments