Central Coast Concerned Mountain Bikers
MEETING MINUTES March 20, 2012
ATTENDING: Kathy Redden, Greg Bettencourt, Bill Jenkins, Tim Sawchuck, Doug Carscaden, Paul Reinhardt, Kelli Schonher, Jeannie Carpenter, Christina Jacobson, Bob Nanninga, Chuck Woodard, Joe O’Donnell, Greg Robertson, Mary Bettencourt
I Approval of minutes of previous meeting: Paul R. moved to approve, Bill J. 2nd. Approved.
II Agenda requests - Ask new folks why they came to meeting/their interest. None present
Guest presentation: Stacey King of County Parks re: Outdoor Discovery Festival at Lopez Lake Saturday, May 12 11am-5pm at Vista Lago near h2o slide. 3CMB to help with bike tours? Date/time conflict with scheduled Bike Month activities on Sat. May 12: 3CMB-led rides with a Membership Meeting to follow in SLO. We decided we could not participate because of our Bike Month commitments.
III Committee Reports
1. Trail Work – SML – Kathy: good turnout and good work done on Grey Pine Trail; Black Hill – Paul: 20 workers, completed work set out by Jamie Irons. Lookin’ good! There were enough crew leaders for each project.
2. Sponsorship & Fundraising – Bill: see report. Thank you, George (of Quality Suites), for buying bells.
3. Publicity – Frank: No report
4. FASTA – Greg R, Ian, Tucker, Doug: Update: Wall ride is done. Working on goals for upcoming workday this Sunday.
5. Newsletter/E-newsletter – Lynne Latronica: See report. Send or write info re: 1) Bike Month activities for the e-newsletter; 2) trails to be opened in the next few months at Froom; 3) bikes not allowed on Oats Peak until project is complete or plan for bike access is in jeopardy; 4) FASTA pix and update, workday date and video link. Greg will write.
6. Membership & Volunteers – Paul: See report & vote on mailbox. Moved by Bill J. 2nd by Tim S. Paul will make arrangements for cccmb mailbox.
7. Agency & Organization Reports (State Parks, County, City, Forest Service, Bike Coalition): State Parks/Greg: Brush blocks access to new trail at Oats Peak. DPR will open it when complete, so Tim suggests we continue to keep it quiet.
City/Doug: a) Froom Plan;
b) County/Bill: SMLake/Sapwi Trail; waiting to find out what is going to be allowed.
c) Non-motorized meeting with F.S.: Thursday March 22 in Goleta; Greg will go to this first meeting, then a designated 3CMB director will attend quarterly.
8. Education/Training Committee - Kelli: Justin Maytem and Bob Nanninga will work on the return trail. In discussion with Justin several projects where identified.
9. Bike Patrol at MdO – Greg R., Joe, Tim, Bob: Tim will get IMBA Manual to Ranger James Grennan,
10. Website/tech Committee – Tim, Lynne, Kelli: Friends category on Sponsor page? Agreed that webmaster could put “friends” on links page.
11. Financial Report – Jeanne: See report.
IV Items Requiring Discussion or Action
Froom – Doug: need crew leaders. Meet at Home Depot. Chips & soda by the gate. Paul will do sign-in, etc.
2. Moving Dirt – What did we learn from the Zachi experience (see below)
3. Oats Peak & Zachi tsunami Update: Bring Zachi back after it rains this fall, then again in early spring. State Parks agrees.
4. Strategic Planning Follow-Up Tasks
a. Volunteer Recruitment Progress: ?
b. What should our proposed “Leader of Crew Leaders” do? This is a real need.
5. Bike Month Activities Update:
a. Breakfast – Megan Scheduled
b RideS – Greg R. & Jeanne Scheduled May 12
c. Community Meeting – Christina & Jeannie: discussed possibilities and goals. Location with beer, food, information booths, membership. May 12
6. Is it time to order new Maps? They pay for themselves plus a little bit, even though many are given away. Updates needed on Irish Hills, MdO and Lopez. Print up Santa Margarita Lake, West Cuesta and MdO. $170 each. Paul R. moved and Mary 2nd. Approved.
7. County Outdoor Discovery Festival May 12 11-5 Lopez Lake: See Guest report above.
8. Scholarships to Greenways Conference April 18-20: Who wants to go? Chuck Woodard, Kelli Schonher, Tim Sawchuck, Greg B.
9. Arbor Day Booth? No interest.
10. An outsider’s proposal: how do we ensure consistency of work within and among work groups. Possibly plan a “clinic” or “demo” crew for each workday, e.g. building new trail, grade reversals, pruning/brush removal, raking dirt when it’s really dry.
11. Atascadero Trail Scoping Opportunity: Asked by Jonalee to help flag trail. Who would join Greg? Several folks interested. Greg will email directors.
V Newsworthy items for e-newsletter and/or website: See III-5 above.
VIII Next Meeting: April 17, 2011, 5:30 p.m.