Home‎ > ‎Who We Are‎ > ‎Monthly Meeting‎ > ‎

March 2012

posted Jul 8, 2012, 11:55 AM by Bill Jenkins

  Central Coast Concerned Mountain Bikers

 

MEETING MINUTES March 20, 2012

 

ATTENDING: Kathy Redden, Greg Bettencourt, Bill Jenkins, Tim Sawchuck, Doug Carscaden, Paul Reinhardt, Kelli Schonher, Jeannie Carpenter, Christina Jacobson, Bob Nanninga, Chuck Woodard, Joe O’Donnell, Greg Robertson, Mary Bettencourt

 

I    Approval of minutes of previous meeting: Paul R. moved to approve, Bill J. 2nd. Approved.

 

II   Agenda requests - Ask new folks why they came to meeting/their interest. None present

 

Guest presentation: Stacey King of County Parks re: Outdoor Discovery Festival at Lopez Lake Saturday, May 12 11am-5pm at Vista Lago near h2o slide. 3CMB to help with bike tours? Date/time conflict with scheduled Bike Month activities on Sat. May 12: 3CMB-led rides with a Membership Meeting to follow in SLO.  We decided we could not participate because of our Bike Month commitments.

 

III   Committee Reports

1.      Trail WorkSML – Kathy: good turnout and good work done on Grey Pine Trail; Black Hill – Paul: 20 workers, completed work set out by Jamie Irons. Lookin’ good! There were enough crew leaders for each project.

2.      Sponsorship & Fundraising – Bill: see report. Thank you, George (of Quality Suites), for buying bells.

3.      Publicity – Frank: No report

4.      FASTA – Greg R, Ian, Tucker, Doug: Update: Wall ride is done. Working on goals for upcoming workday this Sunday.

5.      Newsletter/E-newsletter – Lynne Latronica: See report. Send or write info re: 1) Bike Month activities for the e-newsletter; 2) trails to be opened in the next few months at Froom; 3) bikes not allowed on Oats Peak until project is complete or plan for bike access is in jeopardy; 4) FASTA pix and update, workday date and video link. Greg will write.

6.      Membership & Volunteers – Paul: See report & vote on mailbox. Moved by Bill J. 2nd by Tim S. Paul will make arrangements for cccmb mailbox.

7.      Agency & Organization Reports (State Parks, County, City, Forest Service, Bike Coalition):  State Parks/Greg: Brush blocks access to new trail at Oats Peak. DPR will open it when complete, so Tim suggests we continue to keep it quiet.

City/Doug: a) Froom Plan;

b) County/Bill: SMLake/Sapwi Trail; waiting to find out what is going to be allowed.

c) Non-motorized meeting with F.S.: Thursday March 22 in Goleta; Greg will go to this first meeting, then a designated 3CMB director will attend quarterly.

8.      Education/Training Committee - Kelli: Justin Maytem and Bob Nanninga will work on the return trail. In discussion with Justin several projects where identified.

9.      Bike Patrol at MdO – Greg R., Joe, Tim, Bob: Tim will get IMBA Manual to Ranger James Grennan,

10.  Website/tech Committee – Tim, Lynne, Kelli: Friends category on Sponsor page?  Agreed that webmaster could put “friends” on links page.

11.     Financial Report – Jeanne: See report.

 

IV  Items Requiring Discussion or Action

  1. Morning Glory  – Greg R.: work drains on Morning Glory & Shooters, work on Return Trail;; repair trough on Botanicals, Need 6 groups; lead is Greg R. Crew leaders: Greg B., Joe, Ian, Tucker, Bob, Paul, etc. Doug will bring the trailer up. Arrive at the “Top of the Grade” and at Stenner. Meet at the Grove. Skipping the chips due to logistical difficulty. Paul will do membership and waivers.

Froom – Doug: need crew leaders. Meet at Home Depot. Chips & soda by the gate. Paul will do sign-in, etc.

2.      Moving Dirt – What did we learn from the Zachi experience (see below)

3.      Oats Peak  & Zachi tsunami Update: Bring Zachi back after it rains this fall, then again in early spring. State Parks agrees.

4.      Strategic Planning Follow-Up Tasks

a.       Volunteer Recruitment Progress:  ?

b.      What should our proposed “Leader of Crew Leaders” do?  This is a real need.

      5.   Bike Month Activities Update:

                  a. Breakfast – Megan Scheduled

                  b  RideS – Greg R. & Jeanne  Scheduled  May 12

                  c. Community Meeting – Christina & Jeannie: discussed possibilities and goals. Location with beer, food, information booths, membership.  May 12                     

      6.  Is it time to order new Maps? They pay for themselves plus a little bit, even though many are given away. Updates needed on Irish Hills, MdO and Lopez. Print up Santa Margarita Lake, West Cuesta and MdO. $170 each. Paul R. moved and Mary 2nd. Approved.

      7.  County Outdoor Discovery Festival May 12 11-5 Lopez Lake: See Guest report above.

      8.  Scholarships to Greenways Conference April 18-20: Who wants to go? Chuck Woodard, Kelli Schonher, Tim Sawchuck, Greg B.

       9. Arbor Day Booth? No interest.

     10. An outsider’s proposal: how do we ensure consistency of work within and among work groups. Possibly plan a “clinic” or “demo” crew for each workday, e.g. building new trail, grade reversals, pruning/brush removal, raking dirt when it’s really dry.

     11. Atascadero Trail Scoping Opportunity: Asked by Jonalee to help flag trail. Who would join Greg?  Several folks interested.  Greg will email directors.

 

V Newsworthy items for e-newsletter and/or website: See III-5 above.

 

VI  Other: 

 

VIII  Next Meeting: April 17, 2011, 5:30 p.m.

Comments