Central Coast Concerned Mountain Bikers
October 20, 2009
Attending: Jeanne and Andy Mutzinger, Greg & Mary Bettencourt, Ron Dexter, Frank Zika, Joe O’Donnell, Bill Jenkins, Paul Reinhart, Rachel Duchak., Doug Carscaden, Clint Edwards, Gary Havas, Jim Aaron, Andrew Pelkoffer, Tim Sawchuck, Kathy Longacre, Kelli Schohner, Greg Robertson
I Approval of minutes of previous meeting. Approved.
II Agenda requests. None
III Committee Reports
1. Trail Work – Lopez – Joe and Bill 15 persons, 4 new persons. Bill will continue to try to engage local A.G. guys to participate
2. Sponsorship & Fundraising – Bill: Maps delivered to Pedal Power in Santa Maria and Bike Coalition. Bill will go to all local bike shops and make the CCCMB annual request
3. Public Relations – Frank: CCMB received award for Volunteer of the Year from City of SLO. Multi-media presentation is nearly updated. Features trails in different conditions being used by various user groups. SLO Stewards Newsletter talks about CCCMB and has an article by Kelli.
4. Newsletter – Rachel: September issue – will go out Oct. 21.
5. Membership & Volunteers – Paul: Report on 2008-9 hours
6. Agency & Organization Reports (State Parks, County, City, Forest Service, Bike Coalition): Doug, Bob, Ron, Greg, etc: Ron Dexter – working on Tuesdays on MDO, Morning Glory – flagging proposed reroute and maintenance every other Thursday, Joe O’Donnell and others worked on Fernandez, watch out for hunters on Fernandez. Doug reported trail work to be done on Stenner and Johnson Ranch work left to do and opening in ‘09
7. Education/Training Committee - Kelli: Will come up with a meeting time. Rachel preparing laminated materials for handing out at work days, and asked for volunteers help in preparing educational materials. Crew leader packet will have a template.
8. Website/tech Committee – Paul, Morgan, Daniel, Rachel: Requested pictures of areas needed trail maintenance as persons ride.
9. FASTA – Andrew: filed articles of incorporation, and bylaws, now will have a board of directors, and working on a website. Working out an agreement with SLO city.
10. Financial Report: Jeanne CCCMB has $7574.14
IV Items Requiring Discussion or Action
1. MdO November trail work plans – Ron Dexter said Hazard Peak trail should be a priority, and have a prep day the Sunday before. Kathy Longacre said the motorized wheelbarrows need work & SLOPOST will pay. Ron to talk with Parks
2. IMBA Insurance – About $500.
3. Neil’s letter of Thanks – everyone signed at meeting, Frank read the letter. Also need a letter to the City Council, Bike Coalition, Planning Commission. Frank will draft, Gary Havas will provide names and addresses.
4. Discuss How to Increase Turnout at Regular Workdays. Jeanne will put up Twitter and Facebook and CraigsList. Jim recommended every member invite someone. Frank will follow up on persons who come by sending a postcard. Someone (did we decide who?) will invite new people with email and offer of free item. Margo volunteered to handle signups at workdays to focus on new folks.
5. Discuss CCCMB’s policy on promoting mtn. biking in SLO County – We will not actively promote, but increase education and awareness and if someone is using our maps to promote tourism on trails, ask them to donate money (did we decide this?), and include our message of cooperation with other users and trail etiquette.
6. Cyclebration Celebration - Evaluation Jim received some nice emails. Bike Coalition had 18 new signups, with matching funds. Ron Dexter received an award and the award will be annual and named in Dexter award.
7. Bike Bells – Update – Greg Robertson and Doug said that we can put up three boxes on city land.
8. Christmas Party – Mary, Director’s Potluck, 5:00 – 8:00, Dec. 12 at the Bettencourt’s
9. Picture repository for all CCCMB photos (tabled)
1. California Greenways and Trails Conference – Greg & Kathy suggested a Trail Workshop on user cooperation/and the SLOPOST-CCCMB story, volunteers asked for.
2. Selling jerseys - Tabled
Jim wanted to find out about buying tools wholesale and reselling to members. Ron & Joe will be putting together a tool order and we can order tools that folks can buy for cost.
VII Next Meeting: Tuesday, November 17, 2009, 5:30 p.m.